The remainder of the 14th season of the Indian Premier League (IPL 2021) has been relocated to the United Arab Emirates, according to BCCI Vice-President Rajiv Shukla on Saturday (May 29). The decision was made on Saturday (May 29) during a virtual Special General Meeting (SGM) in which members unanimously agreed to restart IPL 2021.
The T20 league, which was suspended in early May after numerous players tested positive for COVID-19, will now take place between September and October. The tournament has been relocated to the UAE because India is likely to experience the monsoon season during the resumption window.
“The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Saturday announced that the remaining matches of the VIVO Indian Premier League 2021 season will be completed in the United Arab Emirates (U.A.E) due to the monsoon season in India in the months of September-October this year,” the BCCI said in a statement on Saturday.
“The decision was made at a virtual Special General Meeting (SGM) where members unanimously agreed to resume IPL,” the statement continued.
While it has been decided that the board will discuss the availability of foreign players with the respective boards with the September-October window in mind, the absence of foreign players would not be a deal-breaker for the continuation of the IPL. The Indian board has decided to seek time from the ICC for the T20 World Cup when the international body meets on June 1.
NEWS : BCCI to conduct remaining matches of VIVO IPL in UAE.
— IndianPremierLeague (@IPL) May 29, 2021
According to a source familiar with the meeting’s developments, the BCCI will proceed with organising the IPL in the UAE, with the goal of completing the 14th edition of the league within a 25-day window.
“There have been discussions with the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB), and they are pleased to host the remaining IPL matches in Dubai, Sharjah, and Abu Dhabi, as they did last year. The BCCI will now consult with foreign boards to determine the availability of foreign players. While the Australian players are likely to be available, there are some doubts about the availability of England and New Zealand players; we’ll see how that pans out. We’re looking at a 25-day window, which is currently open “According to the source.
With more than four months until the showpiece event, the BCCI will propose to the ICC that it give the body until the end of June or the beginning of July to make a decision on hosting the tournament, according to the source.
“There are nearly four and a half months left, and we are confident that things will change in that time frame in terms of COVID-19. The BCCI will ask the ICC for time until the end of June or the beginning of July to make a final decision on the matter “the source clarified
The board is optimistic about the possibility of obtaining a tax exemption from the government. “We are in talks with the government, and the talks have made some progress, which is critical for the tournament’s conduct in India,” the source said.