On Day 13 of the Tokyo Olympics 2020, all eyes will be on the India women’s hockey team and Lovlina Borgohain, who will both be attempting to make history.
A historic feat already accomplished, a raging Indian women’s hockey team will aim for more glory when it faces mighty but beatable Argentina in the Olympic Games semifinals on Wednesday (August 4). On Monday, a group of 18 fearless and determined Indian women did the unthinkable by defeating three-time champions Australia 1-0 to advance to the Olympic semifinals for the first time.
On Wednesday, the Indian women will attempt to outperform their more admired male counterparts by reaching their first-ever Olympic final.
Meanwhile, Lovlina Borgohain (69kg), who has already won a medal, will attempt to make history when she competes against reigning world champion Busenaz Surmeneli of Turkey in the Tokyo Olympic semifinals on Wednesday (August 4), aiming to become the first Indian boxer to advance to the Games final.
The 23-year-old Assamese boxer, who began her career as a Muay Thai practitioner, is only the third Indian boxer to finish on the podium at the showpiece, following Vijender Singh (2008) and M C Mary Kom (2012).
Hers is also the first Olympic boxing medal in nine years, and her goal now is to reach the finals, where no one has gone before her.
In addition, Neeraj Chopra and Shivpal Singh will begin their javelin throw campaign on Wednesday, with the goal of qualifying for the finals.
Here’s the complete India schedule for August 4:
- Men’s javelin throw qualification: Group A – Neeraj Chopra – 5:35 AM IST
- Men’s javelin throw qualification: Group B – Shivpal Singh – 7:05 AM IST
- Women’s welterweight (69kg) semi-final: Lovlina Borgohain vs Busenaz Surmeneli (TUR) – 11 AM IST
- Women’s Round 1: Aditi Ashok – 5:55 AM IST onwards
- Women’s Round 1: Diksha Dagar – 7:39 AM IST onwards
- Women’s semi-final: Argentina vs India – 3:30 PM IST
- Men’s freestyle 57kg round of 16: Ravi Kumar vs Oscar Tigeros (COL) – Fourth bout on Mat A after session starts at 7:30 AM IST
- Men’s freestyle 57kg quarter-final: If Ravi Kumar wins
- Men’s freestyle 57kg semi-final: If Ravi Kumar wins
- Women’s freestyle 57kg round of 16: Anshu Malik vs Iryna Kurachkina (BLR) – Fifth bout on Mat B after session starts at 7:30 AM IST
- Women’s freestyle 57kg quarter-final: If Anshu Malik wins
- Women’s freestyle 57kg semi-final: If Anshu Malik wins
- Men’s freestyle 86kg round of 16: Deepak Punia vs Ekerekeme Agiomor (NGR) – Eighth bout on Mat C after session starts at 7:30 AM IST
- Men’s freestyle 86kg quarter-final: If Deepak Punia wins
- Men’s freestyle 86kg semi-final: If Deepak Punia wins
(All timings are in IST)