7.2 C
New York
Friday, December 3, 2021

Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman: Met PCs called murdered sisters ‘dead birds’


Two Met officers took photos of two murdered sisters and described them as “dead birds” in WhatsApp messages to the public, a misconduct panel heard.

PC Deniz Jaffer and PC Jamie Lewis were sent to Fryent Country Park in Wembley last June after the bodies of Nicole Smallman and Bibaa Henry were found.

The pair previously admitted taking and sharing photographs of the women. They are due to be sentenced on 6 December.

Danyal Hussein was found guilty of the murders.

Ms Henry, 46, and Ms Smallman, 27, had been celebrating Ms Henry’s birthday when they were attacked and repeatedly stabbed by Hussein.

The 19-year-old, from Blackheath in south-east London, was jailed for life with a minimum term of 35 years last month.

PC Jamie Lewis (left) and PC Deniz Jaffer have been warned to expect custodial sentences

A misconduct hearing was held on Wednesday at the Met’s Empress Building in west London to discuss the actions of Lewis, 33, and Jaffer, 47.

Both officers were sent to guard the crime scene after the bodies of the two sisters were discovered, according to the hearing, which was presided over by Assistant Commissioner Helen Ball.

According to PC Helen Tierney, Jaffer and Lewis then left the cordon they were supposed to guard and photographed the bodies of the fatally wounded sisters.

“Neither of them had the authority or the policing purpose to do so,” said PC Tierney.

Lewis, she said, sent a WhatsApp message saying, “Unfortunately, I’m sat next to two dead birds with stab wounds.”

Jaffer is then said to have posted in a WhatsApp group, “I’m here now, I’ll try to take pictures of the dead birds.”

When questioned after his arrest, Lewis denied “with confidence” that he had taken any photographs, according to the panel.

Images were later discovered on his phone, according to PC Tierney.

Lewis and Jaffer did not attend the hearing and instead sent a joint letter to Ms Ball in which they stated that “no response or explanation” for their actions had been received.

Jaffer resigned as a police officer on August 18, 2021, while Lewis remains on the force.

The sisters had been celebrating Ms Henry’s birthday when they were killed

Ms Ball stated that she was “disappointed” that Lewis had not provided an explanation for what he did, and that both officers had acted in a “hurtful and dishonest” manner.

She stated at the hearing: “Both were aware of the actions of the other and sent images to the other, but neither challenged nor reported such actions.

“It is obvious to all that such behaviour discredits the police service and undermines public trust.

“Dismissal would be justified, and I consider the situation to be gross misconduct.”

Ms Ball will make the decision on whether Lewis should be fired and whether Jaffer should be barred from policing.

The hearing continues.

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article